Create a New Product
- Name: The name of the product as it appears on the storefront and in the Administration panel.
- Categories: the categories that the product will be assigned to. When a product has multiple categories, the first category on the list will be the main category for the product. To change the main category, just drag another category in its place.
- Currency: The currency you would like to use for your product.
- Price: Base product price in your store’s primary currency.
- Full description: The product description that will appear on the product details page of the storefront.
- Status: The status of the product:
- Active: The product is available on the storefront and appears in the product list.
- Disabled: The product is not available on the storefront.
- Hidden: The product does not appear in the product list on the storefront. Customers can reach a hidden product via a direct link.
- Images: The images of the product. Supported formats are JPEG, GIF, and PNG. As a rule, it should not exceed 2 MB, but we allow up to 10 MB images to be uploaded. One of the uploaded images will appear larger than the others. That’s the main product image that is displayed on the product list and on the product details page by default. To change the main image, simply drag and drop another image in its place. You can also change the order of additional images the same way. If you hover over an image, you’ll be able to view the full-sized image, delete it, or edit its alt text. This text will be shown when the image is missing or cannot be displayed. It is a good practice to have an alternative text associated with the image, for SEO purposes.
- Options type: select how the options and variants of this product appear and work on the storefront:
- Simultaneous: customers can choose the variant for each option independently and in any order.
- Sequential: options and variants are chosen one after another: first the variant of the first option, then the variant of the second option, and so on.Options are specific properties of the product that a customer can choose when making a purchase. For example, options for clothes may include color and size. The variants of those options would be red/green/blue and S/M/L/XL/XXL respectively.
- Exceptions type: select a type of the product option exceptions:
- Forbidden: you’ll be able to specify Forbidden combinations on the Options tab. Customers won’t be able to purchase a product when they choose a forbidden combination of option variants.
- Allowed: you’ll be able to specify Allowed combinations on the Options tab. Customers will only be able to select these combinations of option variants.
Pricing / Inventory
- SKU: the identifier of the product that you use in your store (a stock keeping unit or SKU); it is used to distinguish products from each other during import so that the data would be saved to the right product.
- In stock: the number of products in the stock. Products that are out of stock can’t be bought.
- Inventory: the way of tracking the inventory of the current product:
- Track with options
- Track without options
- Do not track: If a product is tracked with options, you’ll need to specify the number of in-stock items individually for each combination of option variants.
- Minimum order quantity: the minimum number of items that a customer can buy at a time. This number will appear on the product page on the storefront, right after the product price.
- Maximum order quantity: the maximum number of items that a customer can buy at a time. 0 means no limit.
- Taxes: select the taxes that will be applied to the product.
- Out-of-stock actions: select if customers should be able to buy the product in advance before it is not yet available for sale, or sign up to receive an email notification when the product is available. Learn more about out-of-stock actions.
- Downloadable: if this checkbox is ticked, the product is labeled as downloadable, i.e. distributed by download. If the item is a digital listing, make sure you check this box, so that customers will receive a download link after purchase.
- Enable shipping for downloadable products: if this checkbox is ticked, shipping costs will be calculated for this downloadable product just like for normal products. Check this box if the item has a physical and digital component.
- Time-unlimited download: if this checkbox is ticked, the product download period never expires. As a rule, customers only have a one year of time to download a purchased product.
- Short description: a short product description; it appears on the product list on the storefront. If you leave this field blank, the short description will be automatically taken from the full product description (first 300 characters).
- Search words: the list of words by which the product should be easily found by the built-in search.
This tab allows you to manage product options and option variants, as well as control the option combinations and add forbidden/allowed combinations.
Product options appear on the product details page on the storefront. Depending on the type of an option, customers either select one of the option variants or provide their own variant. A separate article describes the properties of options.
This tab contains a number of product properties that are important for automatic shipping cost calculation.
- Weight: the weight of a single item in the store’s default weight measurement unit. The default weight measurement unit is pounds.
- Free shipping: if you tick this checkbox, the product will be excluded from the shipping cost calculation, as long as the shipping method has the Use for free shipping checkbox ticked.
- Handling Fee: the handling fee (insurance, packaging, etc.) added to the shipping cost.
- Items in a box: the minimum and the maximum number of product items to be shipped in a separate box. Usually, it’s
1 - 1(only one product per box). If you are using calculated shipping, this may be needed for accurate shipping calculations.
- Box length: the length of a separate box.
- Box width: the width of a separate box.
- Box height: the height of a separate box.
If you don’t specify box dimensions, values will be taken from the shipping method. Box-related properties are required for a more accurate shipping cost estimation when a real-time shipping method supports multi-box shipping (UPS, FedEx, and DHL).
This tab contains the list of wholesale prices for the product. Customers will see those discounts on the product page on the storefront. Prices apply depending on the number of items of this product in cart.
- Quantity: the minimum number of product items to qualify for the product wholesale price.
- Value: the value of the discount (per item).
- Type: the type of the discount:
- Absolute: the cost of 1 discounted item.
- Percent: the percent discount off the base product item price.
Files to Sell
This tab contains a list of files that are associated with this downloadable product. (Make sure you have checked the “Downloadable” box under the general settings.) These files will only be available after purchase.
For digital instructions and/or files that come with a physical product and don’t have to be bought, we recommend using the Attachments tab instead, which are accessible to customers with or without a purchase.
Each file has the following properties:
- Name: the name of the file as your customers will see it on the product page. Note that it does not change the original file name.
- Position: the position of the file relatively to the positions of the other files in the list.
- File: the actual file that will become available for download after purchase.
- Preview: a preview file that can be freely downloaded from the product details page on the storefront.
- Activation mode: determines how the download link will be activated:
- Immediately: immediately after the order has been placed.
- After full payment: once the order status has changed to Processed or Complete.
- Manually: manually by the store administrator.
- Max downloads: the maximum number of allowed product downloads per customer.
- License agreement: the text of the license agreement.
- Agreement required: determines whether the customers must accept license agreement at checkout.
- Readme: additional instructions (for example, installation instructions, etc.)
- Folder: the folder to which the file belongs (if you created any).
This tab contains product properties that depend on the active add-ons; for example:
This is where you can specify the period of time which customers can request a refund.
- Returnable: if you tick this checkbox, the product will be labeled as available for the return.
- Return period: the time period (in days) during which the product can be returned. The period begins on the day of purchase.
If you have connected your TaxJar account, you can test that the tax calculation is working correctly..
This tab requires the Attachments add-on to be active.
This tab contains files associated with the product. Unlike the contents of the Files to sell tab, the files that appear here are available for non-downloadable products as well. Each attachment has the following properties:
- Name: the name of the product attachment.
- Position: the position of the attachment relative to the position of the other product attachments.
- File: the file that is used as the product attachment.
The list of customers’ reviews of the product. Customers can only add a review if they make a purchase.
If you have more than one shipping method set-up, you can select which methods you would like to use with this product. If more than one shipping method is selected, customers will be given a choice of the selected options at checkout.