How To: Set up FedEx Shipping
To set-up your shipping method:
- Go to Administration → Shipping → Shipping methods
- Click the “+” button near the upper right corner of the page
- Name: The name of the shipping method as it appears on the storefront.
- Description: Detailed description of the shipping method.
- Rate calculation: The way how the shipping cost will be calculated:
- Since we are creating a flat rate shipping method, select “FedEx.” The manual calculation is based on the tables with charges and rates that you will define in a later step.
- Shipping Service: After selecting “FedEx” a new dropdown will appear where you can select the shipping service.
- Processing time: The time it takes to make an order. This info is displayed on the storefront so that customers can decide if the delivery time meets their requirements.
- Status: The status of the shipping method: Active or Disabled.
- Weight limit: The minimum and maximum weight of the order that can be delivered via this method. This setting can be left blank if you would like it to apply to all weights. If an order doesn’t meet the weight requirements, then this shipping method won’t be offered to the customer. This setting is useful if you have products of different weights and would like to set different prices based on the item weight.
Once you have configured the general shipping settings, you can click create in the upper right hand corner.
After creating the shipping method, enter your FedEx credentials in the Authentication key, Authentication password, Account number, and Meter number fields.
Test Mode: For testing purposes, use the following settings:
- Package type: Your packaging
- Drop Off Type: Regular pickup
- Width (inches), Height (inches), and Length (inches): 10
Test Rate Calculation
It is a good idea to check your rate calculation. Testing your rate calculation is crucial to ensure that you have set-up your FedEx connection properly. The test will give you an error if it cannot retrieve the rates from FedEx. This allows you to correct your settings before customers attempt to make a purchase.
Add your sender information, as well as your test recipient location to check the rate calculation. Click the Recalculate rates button to find out the shipping cost. The calculation considers the weight that you specify in the form, as well as the to and from address that you specify.
- Icon: An image to represent the shipping method. You can upload an icon from your computer, or provide a URL to the image. Images must be of one of the following formats only: JPEG, GIF, PNG. As a rule, the size of the file should not exceed 2 MB.
- Customer must specify his/her address: Tick the box if you want customers to specify their addresses.
- Use for free shipping: Tick the box so that the products with the Free shipping option enabled are not included in the calculation (It is recommended to keep this box if you plan to have items with free shipping)